What is Periodontics?
The mildest involvement of the gums is known as GINGIVITIS. This is an oral disease caused mainly by the accumulation of bacterial plaque and tartar on the teeth and gums. When gingivitis is not treated, it can turn into PERIODONTITIS, being a more advanced and serious phase. Both are infections caused by the presence of bacteria.
How is gingivitis manifested?
- Swollen gums.
- Red gums.
- Spontaneous bleeding or while brushing.
How is periodontitis manifested?
- Swollen gums
- Red gums
- Spontaneous or brushing bleeding
- Destruction of the bone that supports the tooth
- Accumulation of bacterial plaque and tartar under the gums causing the appearance of periodontal pockets.
- Loss of gum level giving the appearance of longer teeth
- Tooth sensitivity
- Dental mobility
- Tooth separation or migration
- Loss of teeth
- Halitosis or bad breath
- Phlegmon formation
In the case of gingivitis, it is necessary to perform professional hygiene combined with a change in hygiene habits at home to reverse its progression.
In the case of periodontitis, deeper hygiene techniques will be necessary, consisting of sub-gingival and root decontamination of the teeth. This treatment is called Root Scraping and Smoothing. In very advanced stages of the disease, the help of small interventions, periodontal surgery, will be required to ensure total disinfection.
The first Visit
- We evaluate the habits and risk factors predisposed to suffering from gingivitis or periodontitis.
- X-rays: We radiologically record the amount of bone that supports the teeth present.
- Periodontogram (Florida Probe): We measure the relationship between the gum and the tooth (degree of inflammation) and its possible mobility, among other factors. Very precise diagnostic tool that is recorded for each of the teeth up to 6 locations.
- Microbiological test: Through the analysis of dental plaque we know the composition of the bacterial flora, its aggressiveness and the need or not to receive a specific antibiotic treatment.
- Personalized oral hygiene recommendations adapted to each patient.
Why have an operation at Birbe Clinic?
We are specialists in designing faces and smiles.
At Birbe Clinic we have a great team, mentored by Dr. Joan Birbe, with more than 20 years of experience treating patients; always up to date with news and selecting the innovations that really bring improvements to our treatments. As in the case of virtual simulations of facial surgeries, intraoral scanners, customization of facial prostheses, the use of the microscope, etc.
Our priority is to achieve excellence in treatment. All this with a personalized, honest and trustworthy treatment. In addition, our facilities offer maximum hygiene, sterilization and comfort.
Find out what they think of us!
We help you carry out the intervention you need
After a rigorous evaluation we will offer you a personalized and closed estimate with all the necessary forms of payment and financing, so that you can carry it out.
Contact us during our business hours of:
- Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8.00h to 16.00h.
- Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00h to 18.00h.
- Phone Number: +34 93 212 47 37.
Outside of our business hours you can send us a WhatsApp or a form and we will answer you as soon as possible. Being located in Barcelona, we receive patients from all over the national and international territory.
During your first consultation we will provide you with:
✔ Personal diagnosis by oral and facial examination.
✔ Closed estimate with different financing possibilities.