What is facial trauma?
The maxillofacial surgeon is the specialist who best knows the anatomy of the face. Facial trauma can affect both soft tissues and facial bones.
Treatment of soft tissue injuries, such as lacerations, requires suturing techniques that minimize the appearance of unsightly scars. There are appropriate types of suture for this. If there are already unsightly scars, they can be treated with peeling or dermabrasion techniques, and even surgery.
The facial bones most affected by trauma are the nasal bones, the jaw, and the malar bones.
Types of fractures
- Nasal fractures should be reduced immediately, taking into account the ideal position of the nasal bones and nasal septum. Rhinoplasty is often performed concomitantly.
- Lower jaw fractures have the peculiarity that they affect the way the teeth occlude, and can also affect the temporomandibular joint. Its treatment depends on several factors such as age, open or closed fracture, concomitant injuries, etc. Usually a reduction of the fracture is performed, with rigid fixation of the same. In other cases we can opt for a conservative treatment, without surgery.
- Malar fractures can also affect the orbit and be accompanied by blurred vision (diploplia). They can affect the projection of the cheekbone and lead to marked deformities of the midface. Its reduction is achieved by fixing at least two of the three malar joints with mini-plates.
Facial multiple trauma should be evaluated with a facial scanner and the pillars of the face well defined, in order to reconstruct it while maintaining its dimensions.
Sequelae are common after facial trauma. These can and should be treated as soon as possible, starting at 3 months. A radiological and clinical study will determine the best treatment for the sequelae of facial trauma.
Why have an operation at Birbe Clinic?
We are specialists in designing faces and smiles.
At Birbe Clinic we have a great team, mentored by Dr. Joan Birbe, with more than 20 years of experience treating patients; always up to date with news and selecting the innovations that really bring improvements to our treatments. As in the case of virtual simulations of facial surgeries, intraoral scanners, customization of facial prostheses, the use of the microscope, etc.
Our priority is to achieve excellence in treatment. All this with a personalized, honest and trustworthy treatment. In addition, our facilities offer maximum hygiene, sterilization and comfort.
Find out what they think of us!
We help you carry out the intervention you need
After a rigorous evaluation we will offer you a personalized and closed estimate with all the necessary forms of payment and financing, so that you can carry it out.
Contact us during our business hours of:
- Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8.00h to 16.00h.
- Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00h to 18.00h.
- Phone Number: +34 93 212 47 37.
Outside of our business hours you can send us a WhatsApp or a form and we will answer you as soon as possible. Being located in Barcelona, we receive patients from all over the national and international territory.
During your first consultation we will provide you with:
✔ Personal diagnosis by oral and facial examination.
✔ Closed estimate with different financing possibilities.